Often people ask: What is a SCREAMPARK, and what is the difference between a SCREAMPARK and a haunted house? Aren't they one in the same? No, there are many differences between a SCREAMPARK and a haunted house. A typical haunted house is usually located inside an old warehouse, a closed-down box store, or some other indoor structure, and they usually offer one attraction or one major attraction with one or two possible side attractions. A SCREAMPARK is usually built on a large, open property such as a farm, a field or an amusement park, and they consist of multiple haunted houses all at that one location. Many SCREAMPARKS offer a Haunted Hayride as their main attraction, where guests (or victims) board a tractor pulled hayride through scenes where actors scare and torment causing heart pounding meters to rise. But additionally, they’ll include other attractions like different style haunted houses, corn mazes, stage shows, haunted games, haunted trails or walks through the woods, or even a carnival. SCREAMPARKS typically have 5 or more different haunted attractions. When visiting one of America's best SCREAMPARKS you should keep in mind these events take a long time to complete and guests may NEVER make it out alive!
Are SCREAMPARKS better than a typical haunted house? No, it’s really just a personal preference. Because they’re outdoors, SCREAMPARKS offer that authentically genuine, scary feel. But since SCREAMPARKS are mostly outdoors, they sometimes have less access to electric and are more susceptible to weather elements. However, amazing pyrotechnics are sometimes found at outside SCREAMPARKS, more so than typical haunted houses. Because of the outdoor element of SCREAMPARKS, most of the attractions are taken down in the off season and stored. Whereas a permanent haunted house building might actually stays up year round for the owners to work on and improve on year round. The level of detail, design, and special FX inside a typical haunted house is difficult to achieve at an outdoor SCREAMPARK event. Of course, there are some SCREAMPARK exceptions such as those on our list of the 13 best, biggest, and scariest HAUNTED SCREAMPARKS in America. Do you want to be scared UNDER THE STARS, under the LIGHT OF THE MOON? Then you need to visit one of America's BEST Haunted SCREAMPARKS.
1. Headless Horseman Hayride & Haunted Houses in Ulster Park, New York: Headless Horseman is known for having one of the best, most theatrical haunted hayrides in the World! Headless Horseman features EIGHT different attractions including their infamous haunted hayride, a haunted corn maze, a haunted slaughterhouse, a haunted motel, a haunted cellar, a haunted nursery & greenhouse, plus 2 more haunted houses. WOW! Visit their website at www.headlesshorseman.com or CLICK HERE to read a full review.
2. Creepyworld Haunted Screampark in St Louis, MO Missouri: Creepyworld is one of America's best and biggest haunted screamparks with SEVEN haunted attractions in one location for one price. The extreme Saw 3D Haunted House is based on the popular SAW movie franchise. Tombstone Haunted Hayride takes you on a journey through Tombstone Haunted Ghost Town where zombie outlaws endlessly haunt and terrify. Ravens Haunted Mansion is a highly detailed haunted house that will keep you guessing what’s real and what’s not. Hornbuckle’s Pig Farm & Corn Maze offers the ultimate in a good old fashioned backwoods haunting. Drive Inn 666 is an outdoor movie theater where the horror characters come to life looking for their next kill. Choppers Gore & Grill is a chainsaw scream zone looking for fresh meat. And, a secret government experiment has gone awry inside Creepyworld’s longest haunted attraction, Silo-X! To read a detailed review, CLICK HERE or visit their website: http://scarefest.com/haunted_house_in_stlouis_missouri_creepyworld/home.cfm
3. The Bates Motel and Haunted Hayride in Philadelphia, PA Pennsylvania: The Bates Motel offers three MASSIVE haunted attractions at Arasapha Farm in Philadelphia, PA including Haunted Corn Maze, The Bates Motel Haunted House, and their main attraction The Haunted Hayride. The Haunted Hayride at Bates Motel is by far one of the best in the country with more creatively designed pyrotechnics than any other haunted hayride ever. They even have high end special FX created by real Hollywood artists designed to provide you with the ultimate haunting experience. Read more CLICK HERE, or visit their website www.thebatesmotel.com.
4. Field of Screams in Lancaster, PA Pennsylvania: The Field of Screams Haunted Hayride is a MASSIVE hayride attraction offering heart-stopping thrills around every turn. Field of Screams Haunted Hayride has been featured on the Travel Channel as one of the best in America. But the excitement doesn’t stop there. Field of Screams also offers 2 more MASSIVE haunted house attractions, Den of Darkness and Frightmare Asylum. Visit their website at www.fieldofscreams.com or to read a full review, CLICK HERE.
5. Bayville Scream Park in Long Island, NY: Before you ever even enter Bayville Haunted Scream Park, fear will overcome you as you look upon one of the coolest haunted facades in America. Inside, you’ll find FIVE haunted houses including Evil Woods, Zombie Pirates, Temple of Terror, Bloodworth Haunted Mansion, and Funhouse of Fear in 3D. Bayville Haunted Scream Park also offers a live Parade of the Dead. Bayville Scream Park is the biggest haunted adventure in New York. To learn more, visit their website www.bayvillescreampark.com
6. Corner of Chaos Scream Acres in East Windsor, NJ New Jersey: Corner of Chaos sits on 75 acres of farmland in Central New Jersey. Their attractions include Trail of Treachery, Wooded Wasteland, Barbaric Barnyard, The Wicked Wagon Ride and Halloween Town. Other features include food, refreshments, bonfires, live music, undead dance shows, carnival acts and more. This is no ordinary haunted house; it’s an entire Halloween event NOT to be missed! Learn more by visiting their website at www.cornerofchaos.com
7. HorrorFest at Shady Brook Farm in Yardley, PA Pennsylvania: There’s nothing ordinary about this haunted SCREAMPARK. Guests are introduced to a haunting history dating the farm back to the late 1800’s and setting the stage for one horrific night of terror as they tour Barn of Horror, Deadtime Stories Haunted Corn Maze, Hayride of Horror and Alien Encounter 3D Haunted House. Additionally, HorrorFest offers live entertainment with scheduled DJ's, bands, celebrity appearances and even Scareeoke. To learn more, visit their website at www.shadybrookfarm.com/hrrfst
8. Burial Chamber Haunted Complex in Appleton, WI Wisconsin: Burial Chamber Haunted Complex features Adrenaline Haunted House, Insanity Haunted House, Phobia Haunted Woods, plus The Last Ride Burial Simulators. This haunted house SCREAMPARK is only for the BRAVEST of heart, because at Burial Chamber you can and will be buried alive! Have you ever been closed inside a real coffin before? Are you prepared? This haunt season, you MUST visit Wisconsin's best haunted house and biggest Screampark…BURIAL CHAMBER! For details visit www.burialchamber.com.
9. Jason’s Woods in Lancaster, PA Pennsylvania: The Legendary Jason’s Woods #1 Attraction offers NINE haunted house attractions: Horrifying Hayride, Barn of Terror, Pirates Revenge 3D, Mystery Maze, Macabre Museum, Pitch Black, Psycho Circus, Escape From Oz, and Lost In Jasons Woods. Additionally, Jasons Woods offers nightly special events and activities like movies, live bands, inflatables fun, food specials, fireworks and more! To learn all about Jasons Woods Haunted Attractions, visit their website www.jasonswoods.com.
10. The Field of Terror at K & S Farms in East Windsor, NJ New Jersey: With over 120 acres of preserved farmland, The Field of Terror is New Jersey's LARGEST Haunted Attraction Farm. They offer Haunted Hayride, Field of Terror Corn Maze, Flashlight Maze, plus 2 walk-through haunted houses: The Unknown and Dementia 3D Haunted House. In their 8th season of bringing chills and thrills to guests, Field of Terror KNOWS how to haunt! Learn more at www.fieldofterror.com.
11. Haunted Mill Screampark in Spring Grove, PA Pennsylvania: What awaits you in the dark and damp basement of Haunted Mill? At Haunted Mill ScreamPark, FIVE terrifying attractions test your bravery and fortitude: The Haunted Mill, The House of Eyes. Maw’s Crazy Maze, Terror Trail and Creepy Cornwalk. To learn all the details about Haunted Mill ScreamPark, visit their website www.hauntedmillscreampark.com.
12. Talon Falls Haunted Screamfest in Paducah, KY Kentucky: Talon Falls features Blood Creek Haunted Hayride, Dead End Haunted House, and The Talon Falls Cell Block D, plus an incredible 3D haunted house, Ice Scream Factory 3D. To read a more detailed review CLICK HERE or visit their website at www.talonfalls.com.
13. Pirates of Emerson in San Jose, CA California: Pirates of Emerson Haunted Theme Park features SIX different haunted houses, plus Dead Entertainment nightly. One low price and you’ll tour Habitat of Hags, Lockdown Haunted House, Doll Hostel, Mental Maze, Wicked Wild West and of course Pirates of Emerson. Pirates of Emerson has been offering amazing haunted houses along with an incredible cast of costumed characters for 20 years of fear! Visit www.piratesofemerson.com.
So there you have it, Hauntworld.com offers you a list of the best and scariest REAL haunted adventures for 2011. Please visit us on FACEBOOK, CLICK HERE, and share your stories of the best haunted houses you've visited this year.